Saturday, June 23, 2007

Cougars, Kittens, and Kelly--OH MY!

I originally posted this commentary on my Facebook and MySpace profiles, so it is not academic, researched, or even partially well-written. However, my lack of time compels me to include a post on this subject of "cougars" and hopefully when I have more time, I'll come back and expand on this post.

Ok...I need to take a time out and write something about these new (or are they old) terms for women. Kitten, I've heard before, but Cougar? WTF?

This morning [when I originally wrote this it was Tuesday 19 June 2007] while I getting dressed I turned the tv on and started watching Live with Regis and Kelly. I love/hate the show for various reasons that have to do with misogyny and sexism that I just am not going to get into now. Well, Kelly's husband, whatever his name is, he's a pretty-boy, is the host of a new show called The Age of Love (I think). It's another stupidly idiotic show about a bunch of women trying to get a guy. Oh my god, let me give them a freaking award for originality... Anyways, there are two groups of women on the show who seem to be fighting for some dork's affection. One group is of kittens (young women, in their 20s) and the other is called cougars (older women, over 40).

BTW, Kelly stupidly told a little anecdote about her husband calling her a cougar and acting all sad-like because she wasn't called a kitten. WTF? She's always acting so retarded on that show and now this? I mean--c'mon, I love shoes and nice outfits too, but that's not the extent of my brain. She should at least try to get a little more respect, especially from Regis who is a closeted misogynist.

Well, tonight, after getting home from school I thought I would flip on the TV, relax for an hour or so before I start working on the scary Spenser paper that's due Thursday. What do you think is on my freaking TV screen? Secret Lives of Women and tonight's episode is about cougars. Of course! Where did this stupid word come from? How could I have heard it twice in the same day?

Well, I shouldn't have to explain why this makes me so mad, if you know me, you know why I am pissed...

Now I don't care if an older woman dates a younger man, but why the fuck does society feel the need to label that? When men date younger women they are not called or labeled anything! I can't believe such stupidity and ignorance still prevails. You'll never see men being called anything similar... nor will you see a tv show that labels a group of men anything as stupidly retarded as kittens and cougars.